Homestay means living with a local family or resident. It is a cultural exchange between a local individual or family (called a host) and a visiting international student.
You would live as a guest in the host's home, and the program is a great way for students to learn English and experience the Australian lifestyle.
Swinburne is proud of our partnership with the Australian Homestay Network (AHN) for all short and long term homestay options. AHN is an industry leader in providing compliant homestay offerings to students throughout Australia.
AHN offers industry best practice and not only provides accommodation solutions but strives to enhance the cultural experience for all visiting international students.
- Furnished private room in a caring family environment (includes desk, chair and study lamp)
- Traditional homestay (over 18) includes Monday - Friday two meals (breakfast and dinner) per day and three meals on Saturday/Sunday
- Household utilities (electricity, gas, etc)
- Homestay host and student support
- AHN 24/7 professional phone support
- AHN insurance as per AHN insurance policy
After the initial 28 day stay, students over 18 may choose further options.
You are matched by a fully trained AHN supervisor to a suitable Australian host according to your needs and location of where you're studying. You will have access to bathroom and laundry facilities as well. You're welcome to extend your original homestay placement and can choose a range of AHN meal service options.
- Homestay bookings should be made at least ten days prior to arrival
- Placement fee - A$240 (host training, system support, application process etc)
- Homestay fees vary depending on the type of meal and room options chosen by the student.
- If you're over 18- you can expect to pay $280 per week for the first 28 days. Under 18 $300 per week. Click here for full options.
- Minimum 28 day / 4 week Homestay – paid in advance prior to placement
Opportunities exist for friendly individuals and families to become AHN hosts and share a unique cultural experience with international students. If you are interested in becoming a host, you can find more details on the Homestay Network website.
For more information about homestay accommodation:
Phone (if calling from overseas): +61 2 890 50321
Or in Australia phone: 1300 MY STAY (1300 69 78 29)