2014 unit code: BUS80005 (formerly HBS580)
|Credit points||12.5 Credit Points|
One teaching period
|Contact hours||36 hours|
Aims and objectives
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
1. Critically evaluate the complexity of the business environment.
2. Apply advanced knowledge of foresight to challenge and refresh strategic thinking.
3. Demonstrate critical thinking and apply knowledge to address complex issues across a range of audiences.
4. Communicate proficiently and in a professional manner to diverse audiences.
5. Critically evaluate the role of strategy within an organisation to resolve complex problems.
6. Critically evaluate the role of the strategic plan based on informed and well thought out themes.
Generic skills outcomes
- Leadership: Interdependence; Engaging with Ambiguity and Paradox; Effective Action and Influence
- Global Focus: Transportable Management Skills
- Entrepreneurship and Innovation: Enterprise creation and/or Development; Practising the Art of Creative Destruction, and Strategic Foresight
- Life-Long Learning: Reflective Inquiry; Hearing and Learning from Direct Feedback; Insight into Personal Blocks to Learning; Capacity to Source and Evaluate Information and Conceptual Frameworks; Team-based Learning
- Overview of Strategic Management – past, present and future trends
- The future of strategy and relevance of non-linear reality in entrepreneurship, innovation, and its implication on competitive advantage – external environment analysis
- Creative destruction versus new business creation – identification and evaluation of business opportunity
- Evaluating and managing the internal environment
- Sorting the Strategy Tool Box
- Developing strategic alternatives and selection of viable strategy
- Implementing the strategy – allocation of requisite resources
- Strategy review, evaluation and control