Radio Production and Criticism A
2014 unit code: MDA60013 (formerly HAM402)
|Credit points||12.5 Credit Points|
|Contact hours||3 Hours per Week|
Related course(s)From 2008, an elective unit of study in the Graduate Certificate of Arts (Media and Communications), Graduate Diploma of Arts (Media and Communications) and Master of Arts (Media and Communications).
Aims and objectives
This is a production subject that aims to equip students with the skills necessary for successful participation in radio production. Sound recording, editing, panel operation, voice production and interviewing are all covered. While the acquisition of production skills is an essential part of the subject, the broader context of how those skills can be applied is always kept in mind.
Vox pop assignment 15%, interview assignment 25%, radio program proposal 15%, radio program assignment 25%, participation 20%.
Generic skills outcomes
- Advanced research skills.
- Ability to develop and formulate a coherent argument.
- Analytical and conceptual skills.
- Ability to communicate verbally and in writing.
- Ability to develop in-depth interviewing skills for radio that can be extended to television or print.
- Sound knowledge of news and current affairs.
- Familiarity with the emerging digital media technologies.
- Familiarity with the workings of the extended media family (print and television).
Students are introduced to the theoretical constructs and debates that have directed the development of government policy, radio content and programming. We also examine the historical factors that have helped to shape the radio industry in Australia. We consider the impact that radio has had on the lives of both communities and individuals during the past seventy years. We examine those aspects of radio that have set it apart from other media: its ephemeral quality, its reliance on orality and its intimate relationship to its audience
Barnard, S., Studying Radio (London: Edward Arnold Publishing, 2000)
Keith, M. The Radio Station: Broadcast, Satellite & Internet (